Friday, June 27, 2008

It Has Begun: Quest For CCW

Well this Saturday is a big day for me...I am not only going to shoot my SKS for the first time (post will follow for sure), I am also plopping my money down at the local range to sign op for the CCW training class. I have my CCW weapon which is a S&W M&P 9mm Compact ready to rock as soon as I get that magical envelope with my ID from SLED.

Note: Check your local laws before doing anything that could get you shot by a police officer.

Concealed Carry:
The following states are shall issue: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming Vermont does not require a permit and neither does Alaska (they do issue them for the purpose of reciprocity)

Illinois and Wisconsin are NO ISSUE

Anyone left has laws too complicated to even bother in my opinion. You'll have to research it yourself. Believe it or not there are states that allow Open carry - meaning strap a gun to your hip and you can walk around and not break the law - always look for signs posted regarding bringing firearms onto certain properties like schools, airports, police stations and private property where prohibited by the owner.

The states where open carry is legal without a permit are:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, New Mexico, West Virgina, Wyoming, Vermont and Virginia.

There are permit open carry states but the laws vary and are confusing. You can visit the NRA's website and find tons of information on your particular state. I would suggest you do that before assuming anything I say is Gospel.

South Carolina The requirements for a CCW in South Carolina are as follows:
South Carolina is a shall-issue state; Applicants that meet all of the state requirements must be granted a permit.

To obtain a permit, you must:
Be at least 21 years of age Be a South Carolina resident with a drivers license or military ID, or be a qualified non-resident (a resident of another state who owns real property in South Carolina) Be eligible to possess a firearm pursuant with all state and federal laws Pass a background check Show proof of approved CWP training taken within 3 years See SCCL 23-31-210 for complete eligibility requirements. Permits are issued by the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) per SCCL 23-31-215. The CWP application is available from any sheriff's office or online. Applications may be hand delivered or mailed to SLED. The submitted application must be accompanied by two (2) completed fingerprint cards, a color photograph of the applicant not smaller than 1”x1” nor larger than 3”x5”, and a notarized copy of the applicants driver’s license. Permits are valid for 4 years and may be renewed per SCCL 23-31-215 (P).

 The permit fee is $50 for a new application or for renewal (waived for disabled veterans and retired law enforcement officers). The course must be 8 hours of firearms training which includes classroom/test time and range time. The instructor must be SLED approved. My range offers the training, pictures, finger printing, filling out and filing of the paperwork for $150...and that includes the $50 application fee (So really it is only $100 bucks) which is not bad. I will plop my money down and get into the next scheduled class I hope. Once the training is over and the paperwork has been filed I believe it takes three months to finally get your permit in the mail. I will keep you up to date and let you know how my class goes once it's is scheduled and I have taken it.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!


  1. Alabama is shall issue and also open carry, the county sherif sets the issue fees and in my county it is %7.00/yr. Aformer sherif raised the fee to twenty dollars and you notie i said former sherif. He was a R, but we then elected a D who morphed into R after election. First time in my life I can remember a tax being removed at this level.

  2. I believe Maine also has an open carry law so long as you have a hunting license. Years ago a guy had his handgun removed by Portland police, because he was wearing his handgun out in the open during a family festival. The police felt, for whatever reason, this shouldn't be the case, so they took his handgun. They were unable to charge him with anything, and he eventually got the gun back, and that was the end of the story.

    Can you explain more about the CCW class/permit? Do you just take the class and you're issued a permit to carry in the 30 (or so) states?

  3. You take the class and are issued a permit for your state. Many states have reciprocity laws which mean they recognize CCW permits from other states. You can find a list here of states and the permits they honor:


  4. Right, but I thought, you could take a class outside (or within) your state in order to get access to the large block of 30 or so states. I thought this could be done as a work around of sorts if the class and permit designed for your own state is not honored by the large block of 30.

    Maybe I'm not making myself clear, but I see Maine firearms instructors advertising CCW classes specifically to be honored by the 30 states, apart from the "standard" handgun safety course required for a Maine permit.

  5. SHTF...the only way that can be done is if they are getting you a Utah permit. I believe Utah doesn't require you to be a resident or own any real property in the state. Utah also recognizes ANY CCW issues by ANY state. Those instructors are probably applying you for a Utah permit

    States that honor Utah permit:
    (* means must be residential permit)

    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado*, Delaware, Florida*, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan*, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

    There are 32 states ther 3 need a residential permit for Utah, so thes guys are possibly doing that.

    You will notice Maine is missing...They are probably applying for those at the same time.

  6. Nevada and North Carolina are also "open carry" states.