Thursday, September 5, 2013

Update on Stuff...

By Flea - Be A Survivor

Man have I been busy...

Being in Ohio has been good thus far but I do miss South Carolina.   I finally did a few things I have been meaning to do for a long time: get my CCW and upgrade my ham ticket to general (many more high frequency channels available to me).

The CCW thing was painless save for the ridiculous wait to get an appointment with the Sheriff.   I got my training done, 10 hours classroom and two hours range over a weekend.   I then had to wait 3 months to get an appointment with the Sheriff!   The good thing was after the appointment I had my CCW mailed to me within 7 days.   I currently carry a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 with built in laser...nice gun.   I hardly can tell I am even carrying anything.   I carry it in a pocket holster.

Next, I upgraded my technician ham license to general opening up a world of HF bands to my grubby little fingers.   Was painless, studied for a month, took the test and passed.   I hooked up a 10 meter dipole antenna in my attic and I have a nice 10 meter rig setup as well as my VHF/UHF (2m/440cm) gear.   The big acquisition for me was a new handheld to replace my 10 year old Icom T7H.   I picked up a Yeasu VX-8DR QUAD BAND HT...yes I said quad band (6m/2m/220/440).   This radio is the cats meow and will be doing a review of it eventually.

Some misc stuff I picked up:
Colt M4
Baretta M92
S&W M&P22

All cool little toys to talk about soon...

That is all...

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog for a little bit now via the RSS feed. Glad to see another post. We are kind of similar. I moved from NC to IN in January of this year. Got my state version of a ccw. Painless but to ages. And about a year ago I passed the general exam. I have my eye on the Extra someday, but for right now it's near the bottom of the list. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a post full of excellent. A CCW permit is great. A Colt M4 and a Beretta 92 is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete