Sunday, August 15, 2010

Brewing Your Own Beer

By Flea - Be A Survivor

I recently made my first foray into the world of home brewing and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I decided to go with a starter kit I picked up from homebrewers.com. It came with a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, hydrometer, siphon, racking cane, bottle brush, sanitizer and several other odds and ends.

The process was fairly simple. I used steeping grains in a big pot of water, right before the boil, I removed those and added the malt extract, dextrose and hops. Boiled the mixture for an hour.

One that was done I sanitized the fermenting bucket added the mixture I boiled (called wort) added enough cold water to bring to 5 gallons and added the yeast. I aerated the bucket, sealed the lid and added the airlock on top.

The airlock started to show visible signs of activity (C02 being released) after about 48 hours.

Once fermentation completes all I need to do is transfer the brew to the bottling bucket, add priming sugar, bottle, cap, and in two weeks I should have nicely carbonated beer. I will take some pictures when I am bottling and of the final product when carbonated and ready for consumption.

Brewing is pretty fun, pretty easy, and definitely something that will be useful after the SHTF and Budweiser doesn't exist anymore.

The homebrewers.com website has some nice videos that should peek your interest and they have pretty much all the equipment you would need, including ingredients.

That is all...

1 comment:

  1. If only it were that easy. If you buy a kit and follow the directions to a T then you'll probably end up with decent beer. Just keep everything as exact as possible.

    Just wait till you get into all grain (real beer brewing). You really have to have everything dialed in to end up with some good beer. If you decide to get creative with all grain you'll end up making beer unlike anything you've ever tasted. That could be good or bad. There's a lot of knowledge involved. Once you get it down and you have the proper equipment, though, then you'll be able to brew anything that the big breweries can turn out.

    ReplyDelete