Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Boat...It Begins

By Flea - Be A Survivor

Well I ended up biting the bullet and buying a new boat, the used boat deal fell through and I was worried about an engine with no warranty. I ended up getting a Palm Beach 161 center console fishing boat. I had it out the very first day I picked it up and of course DNR pulls us over to do a safety check.

Specifically they checked for:
- Wearable life vests (1 for each occupant)
- Horn (I had an air horn and a whistle attached to each life jacket so I was good)
- Fire extinguisher (1 type B1) (must be in the green)
- Checked my paperwork since I don't have the registration numbers yet

That was all they asked for, additionally I had:
- 1 throwable flotation device
- VHF hand-held radio
- Knife
- Leather gloves
- Mini tool kit (like the kind you would throw in the back of your car)
- Lots of extra rope
- They didn't check for but you should have an anchor (I did)
- Flares (for signaling)
- Flashlight (water-proof, floating)
- Did I mention lots of extra rope
- Map of the area

Make sure to keep the basics required by your state and the coast guard on board, they could save your life. Most boat dealers throw in a coast guard kit when you buy a new boat, ours also threw in a safety class. The wife and I are registered for the class and will be taking it in the next few weeks.

That is all...

5 comments:

  1. Sure hope you're not living in the Gulf area at this particular time. Not good fishing just now.
    TheGrillSgt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new "hole" in the water! - kdonat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just discovered your blog and I enjoyed going through it. I'll visit you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you enjoyed your 1 of the two best days of your life!! LOL As we all endeavor to be, you were better prepared than your local water cops expect you to be...good for you.

    Consider a 100 or 200 piece first aid kit....fishing hooks, knives, propellers....etc. don't ask me how I know....LOL

    I enjoy your blog.....check mine out sometime...www.everydaysurvivalguy.com and I will blogroll you on mine!

    Thanks

    EDG

    ReplyDelete