Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Some Random Thoughts And Updates...

By Flea - Be A Survivor

Sorry I have been quiet, we had to make an unexpected trip to NJ because of a death in the family on my wife's side. I have also been extremely busy with work, I recently joined the ranks of middle management and I now have about 20 people I have to babysit on a daily basis. Truth be told I have a pretty good crew of IT folks but it is amazing how many fires you need to fight on a daily basis as a manager. That is no excuse of course for not communicating with the loyal folks who follow this blog!

I have been prepping a bit, I recently put up some shelves in our pantry so we could utilize the area better for storage. I now have all my cases of MRE's in an area where I can actually get to them. All in all I can't believe I waited as long as I did to finally put shelves in that closet.

I went on eBay and went on a bit of a buying spree I purchased a Cold Steel Machete, some jumper cables, and a boatload of flashlights. I really learned my lesson when the house was hit by lightning, having a nice LARGE torch is a great thing when the power is out. I did have one plus several smaller flashlights but I quickly realized that three large torches would have been great to have.

We have a few new advertisers here on the blog and I wanted to point them out if you haven't already noticed their banners on the side bar. The first is SunFlowerAmmo.com and the second is ReadyMadeResources.com. These are regular Joe's running these businesses, not huge corporations, so if you want to keep the money in prepper hands show them some love and use them to buy the stuff you are going to buy anyway.

The wife and I have been really been getting into couponing. She is amazing and recently bought $180 of groceries and only paid $90 bucks! Not bad for a beginner. Our best score has been spending $27 and saving $48 at Publix which astounded me to cut the bill by almost 2/3's just blew my mind. I am thinking of having Mrs. Flea do a post on couponing and some of the resources she has identified on the web to help save money when shopping for groceries.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

6 comments:

  1. Please have Mrs. Flea do a post on couponing. I have just started seriously using coupons and would love any tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a good way to save a lot of money! I need to save all I can, that's for sure!

    A post about it would be a very good thing! Thanks...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using your normal lighting is better than using a flashlight in a power failure.

    I bought a few of these - they are UPS units with small inverters (330W continuous), but large batteries (40 amp-hour):

    http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Technologies-852-0400-PowerSource-400-Watt/dp/B000E6LEI2/

    I can have several nights of light & home stereo (including satellite radio) with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you tell us what kind of flashlights do you use?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon,

    I have a boatload of mostly Rayovacs, mixed in with a few Princeton-Tec, and Maglites.

    The larger torches are all Rayovac, the kind that use D batteries not lantern batteries.

    All the Rayovac are the "Industrial" type as they are heavier duty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check Out:www.genesisproject2012foundation.com

    ReplyDelete