Thursday, December 17, 2009

Smoke Detectors And Due Dilligence

By Flea - Be A Survivor

This just goes to show you how important it is that you keep up with your yearly chores. Many of you know a few months ago my house was struck by lightning, I thought everything was back to normal until I went around the house checking the smoke detectors. I change the batteries in my detectors yearly whether they need them or not, they are also hardwired to the electrical system so the battery is essentially a backup.

I was merrily going around swapping out batteries when a came to a detector that would not test properly. In fact, the light which should be green was a very dim red. I went to the next room and the same thing! Out of the seven smoke detectors we have in our house, THREE of them were not functioning properly!!! Luckily for us there was another functioning detector not far from each of the bad ones but still why take a chance. This reminded me how important it is to do just what is printed right on the detector, test them MONTHLY.

Needless to say I made a quick trip to the Lowes near my house and obtained three replacement detectors and installed and tested them. We are now functioning 100% again but you can rest assured I did learn a lesson and will be testing my detectors monthly.

If you have any fire extinguishers in the house be sure to check them when you do your yearly battery changes and I would actually recommend checking them at least twice a year, if not quarterly to be safe.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

3 comments:

  1. You also have to watch out for scandalous family members stealing the batteries for other purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very timely reminder, my friend. Thank you for calling everyone's attention to it!

    ReplyDelete