Monday, December 7, 2009

All I Want For Christmas...

By Flea - Be A Survivor

It’s funny you would never know there was an economic crisis of any kind if you stood around and watched all the lemmings spending their hard earned money on consumer garbage. People have yet to learn their lessons with credit cards, which is basically legalized loan sharking. I don’t feel sorry for anyone anymore. The consumerist herd made their bed, now sleep in it and stop complaining about your situation.

My family decided long ago to bypass the whole gift giving thing, sure we take care of the little ones but the adults haven’t exchanged gifts in years. None of that I bought you a $100 gift and you turn around and buy me a $100 gift bullshit…we put a stop to it long ago. The war on Christmas (and yes it is a war) and yes I said Christmas not “holiday season” is in full swing and it has been reduced to a consumer orgy of spending and nothing more. Not that this is anything new mind you but I would have figured people to wise up a LONG time ago.

“Black Friday”, more like, “Moron Friday" if you ask me. Companies have deals on limited quantities of merchandise to lure you to the store. The practice should be illegal if you ask me. You are selling a $59 TOM-TOM GPS, then I want a goddamn rain check when you sell the 3 that you had in the state! No rain check? No inventory? Then no advertising that price…period.

Screw that, I have had my TV for 10 years and my $29 DVD player works just fine. I don’t need any HD or Blu-ray bullshit…I will replace my shit when it breaks and not a minute sooner.

What pray tell am I spending my money on then you ask? Getting out of debt! I don’t have much, a truck payment and a mortgage is all but in my opinion that is too much. My wife and I are sending every extra dime we have to pay off my truck which should be paid off in about 6 months (3 years EARLY) and then we are going to blast the mortgage. We already send one extra payment a year (shaves about 7 years of a 30 year mortgage if you do that) but plan on sending the money we are currently using to pay the truck off to that when we are done. My goal is to have my 30 year mortgage paid off in 11 years.

So go ahead keep buying shit by the truckload, me? I am buying my freedom. Debt free sounds good to me.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

5 comments:

  1. That makes sense to me, Flea...

    I think yu ar very wise to be taking this step to financial freedoom. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I will buy shit by the truckload. We paid cash for our car, paid our 30 year mortgage off in 7 years by doubling pymts. every month when possible, and I save up all year long waiting for the 80% discounts for everything for our household and family needs at CHRISTMAS time. Only a fool would not use these great deals when offered. Just my 2 cents Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat,

    You are a perfect example of someone who CAN buy stuff...you have taken care of business and now are debt free...my hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year will be a year of buying stuff for me. Inflation is about to hit and interest rates will follow. I predict we have about 1 year to go. Buy what you can now. Pay off adjustable rate loans first. Get what you can now- prep, prep, prep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live Debt Free or Die. That should be the motto on our license plates!

    If I don't have the cash on hand, I do not buy it. This makes me wealthier than 90% of the people are know, who are typically in debt up to their eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete