Monday, November 16, 2009

Equipment Review: Cuisinart Bread Maker

By Flea - Be A Survivor

The wife and I recently treated ourselves to the Cuisinart CBK-200 2-Pound Convection Automatic Bread Makerso we can stop buying bread from the store. Anyone who has lived up north and moved down south knows the bread situation is dire (except for biscuits of course). I haven't had decent bread since I left NJ.

We purchased the bread maker and set out immediately to put it to use. Below is a picture of the bread maker and the the resulting 1 lb loaf of white bread we made. It was hands down some of the best bread I have had in a long time. My biggest regret is not listening to my wife and getting this thing sooner!





We put all the required ingredients into the mixing bowl placed in in the bread maker. We selected 1 lb loaf, white bread and medium crust and let her rip. I was totally a skeptic as I watched the paddle beat the dough into submission for 30 minutes. The next three cycles were rise with a short knead thrown in. The machine beeped and paused alerting us to remove the paddle before that last rise and bake cycles.

I removed the paddle pressed continue and 1 hour and 40 minutes later there was a beautiful loaf of bread in the machine. The total time elapsed was 3 hours from start to finish with our only interaction being to remove the paddle.

We let the bread cool and then cut some slices to try with butter, they were outstanding to say the least.

Here are some stats on the machine:

* Programmable bread machine with convection fan adjusts speed and timing for foolproof results
* 16 preset menu options including Low Carb, Gluten-Free, and Artisan Dough settings
* 3 crust colors and 3 loaf sizes; over 100 bread, dough, sweet cake, and jam combinations
* Audible tone indicates when to add mix-ins; 12-hour delay-start timer; power-failure backup
* Measures 18 by 12-1/5 by 14-7/8 inches; 3-year limited warranty

I have to say it was some of the best money I have spent. We tend to stay with Kitchen-Aid and Cuisinart because we have had great success with durability with those brands. I am a firm believer that if I am going to drop money on something buying quality once makes perfect sense even if it costs more.

This thing even makes jam! The wife and I do that the old fashion way but I may just give it a try if the results are half as good as they were with the bread I will be impressed.

To say I recommend this product would be an understatement.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

6 comments:

  1. Hey Flea, we have one kinda like that. Use it a lot around the holidays. Makes the best bread you ever put in your mouth. Now that I think of it, it's in the storage room, gonna go dig it out now. Thanks for the reminder.

    Bullseye
    Code Name "Bullseye"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice machine!! I still think it's important to know how to make bread by hand though. That said, I use our breadmaker regularly for my husband's lunches.

    I'd love to hear what you thought of the bread the next day - I find that ours grows tough quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that sure looks fancy! It'd be little use to me, though. I have the family sourdough yeast strain passed down through generations. It makes wonderful bread, but it raises slow - 8 hours on average. I'll mix and knead the bread dough on Saturday night, leave it to raise in my mixing bowl, knock it down and shape into loaves Sunday morning and then bake in the afternoon. I've made bread with store-bought yeast, and you can feel the difference in the dough, as well as taste it in the bread.
    If your crust toughens quickly and you don't want it to, try brushing the loaf with olive oil or butter shortly after it comes out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that same model for years and love it. Every single loaf has come out perfect. Try their pizza recipe, too. Friday night is our family pizza night, and since trying the pizza recipe several years ago, that is always the favorite request, even over dominos, pizza hut and all the others. I lay out the pies, and the family enjoys topping them together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. got one two days ago at Costco for $70! Its my best friend now! Love to fed my baby girl with homemade healthy bread and pizza and pasta....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would really like to get one, but???

    with all the reasons for prepping? how are you going to use it if there's a massive power outage? if the grid goes down. now if you are solar equipped?? that would be an awesome thing to have!!!! me? i would love it cause i can't make scratch bread, rolls or biscuits to save my soul!!!!

    ReplyDelete