Saturday, September 12, 2009

Flying Solo And Yearly Chores

By Flea - Be A Survivor

Yes I have been busy and I apologize for not posting as frequently as I used to. I am flying solo this week as the wife is away visiting family so like a typically guy I have been eating badly, bathing infrequently and staying up late watching "Lockup: Raw". There is something strangely fascinating about watching the intricacies of prison life...I am addicted to that show and it drives the wife crazy.

But "HA!" she isn't here so Lockup and frozen pizza it is!

I have been doing some of my yearly chores around the house such as power washing the house, re-mulching the flower beds, cleaning the garage out and clearing out my now defunct vegetable garden.

The yearly chores are all important and sometimes forgotten. If you have a wood fence you should clean and seal it. If you have thatch in your grass, de-thatch. If items outside need a coat of paint get out there an get to work.

You will probably laugh at this but nothing makes a house look like shit more than a leaning rusted out mailbox. I live in a recently built development and I see this all the time. Once a year I take the mailbox off the post and give the post a good coat of spray paint to keep it looking fresh. I use a flat black spray paint made for all surfaces.

I then clean the mailbox (which is glossy black) with some soapy water, dry it off and give it a coat of wax with a regular old car wax (paste). When the wax has set I buff the mailbox with a clean rag and then reinstall the mailbox on the post. The mailbox looks as good as the day they installed it, people actually notice and ask why mine looks new and theirs looks like shit. It is called maintenance my friend!

Soon I will be mowing my grass for the last time this season and I will prepare the mower for winter by draining the fluids. When next season starts I will put a new spark plug in, new air filter, fresh gas and oil and SHARPEN the blade. This is something you should do on a regular basis. The filter and plug may not need to be changed but at least check them. This is how you keep things running smoothly and make them last.

Almost all the stuff I have is several years old and stills works just fine because I keep the stuff clean and well maintained. If you do the same your stuff will last.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

5 comments:

  1. I guess it's okay to be lazy sometimes as long as your doing the chores! LOL Sounds like you have been busy though. Look forward to your return..

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! Especially while the wife's away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to put all those beer cans in the recycling bin......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing when Wifey is off somewhere visiting but of course with the requisite, got the place all to myself beers.

    ReplyDelete