Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness

By Flea - Be A Survivor

This post doesn’t have a hell of a lot to do with survival but I feel it is important nonetheless. Personal pride in your hygiene and your surroundings should be high on your list of priorities. In my previous life I worked in an occupation that took me to people’s homes and I was dumbfounded to say the least at some of the conditions people CHOOSE to live in.

People, no one is saying that if you can only afford a 1 bedroom apartment on the wrong side of the tracks there is something wrong with that…but for the love of God can you keep the place clean? This whole conversation came about because of my little experience “riding the lightning”. The contractor who came to do the work said several times to me, “It is obvious you take care of your property.”

I finally asked him what made it so obvious. He said my lawn and landscaping were neatly manicured, my house was clean and well maintained, and the fact that I took an obvious interest in what they were doing and how they were repairing things gave it away. He told me that as a contractor he has seen some houses that you would be amazed people live in.

You can still take pride in your appearance and surroundings even if you don’t have a lot of money. In fact money has nothing to do with it, laziness and indifference do.

People who take time to clean and groom themselves, wear clean clothes, and keep their living space clean and organized are far more likely to get respect from people than the richest slob. There is no excuse to walk around stinking and wearing dirty clothes. Looking neat and clean will get you further with people every time.

I used to work as a security guard in my younger days and there was a gentleman who was an absolute pig; his teeth were yellow and rotted, his clothes were stained, his hair was greasy, and he was a slob when it came to the desk we shared. When he would leave I actually went around disinfecting things like the phone and the desk to get his stink off of it. I actually had to wipe flakes of his skin off the desk because he was so dirty his skin would slough off.

People need to take pride in their appearance and respect others when it comes to shared work areas. Keeping a neat and tidy residence will give you a feeling of peace and well being. Keeping a neat and tidy appearance will cause people to “want” to be around you instead of avoiding you like the plague.

This should be obvious but here we go:
Take a shower or bath at least every other day (and USE SOAP).
Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Trim your fingernails.
Shave regularly (guys with beards - trim and neaten any growth)
Comb your hair.
Wear clean clothes every day.
Keep your house neat and organized.
If you have animals clean MORE often.
Vacuum or mop floors at least once a week.
Dust at least once every week or two.
Paint every 5 years. You can extend this if you don’t smoke inside and you occasionally wipe the walls down with a damp rag.
Clean the bathrooms in your house at least every few days.
Clean your windows thoroughly at least twice a year.
Check the refrigerator every two weeks for forgotten science experiments.
If you have a dog give them a bath at least once every two months (I have seen folks with dogs who stink so bad I wanted to puke after I pet it).
Don’t leave mounds of dishes in the sink.
Mow your lawn/weed whack/and EDGE if you have a yard
And for the love of Pete, use a deodorant!

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

8 comments:

  1. Great post Flea. I can't stand people who aren't clean and organized. I keep myself and my surroundings as clean and organized as possible. I have notes on my to do list to re-organized my organized stuff lol.

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hitting the house one room at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad that you have to post this but at least it is a great reminder to those who don't pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble is...most folks that need it the most, won't eve pay any attention!

    Thanks for a timely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the current economic struggle for survival I've seen normally clean neat people and their properties go downhill fast. I'd guess depression and despair got the best of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother bought a frig.at an aution that was pretty grubby. He fussed and fumed and raised a stink...until he found out that it had been owned by an elderly blind lady.."judge not."

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, you are sooo right. I've seen some pretty disgusting things too. Living in Hawaii, you look around and people here just trash their homes, the neighborhoods are mostly scary places. I come from CA ..the land of manicured lawns. When I first moved here, my first instinct was to jump back on the plane...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I've been working hard to keep my place clean so that I didn't stay the way I was. (rather lazy and living in a mess)
    One thing I think applies to survivalism about caring for your stuff and home is that 1) it wont fail you if you take good care of it (tools, survival gear etc etc) and you wont attract pests and germs in a clean well kept house as easily as if you lived in filth!

    Myself I went a couple months eating off paper plates and using disposable cups and cutlery just to get on top of things before I made any more of a mess.

    Now I've got my place clean and it's been that way for a while and I feel so much better about how my little one bedroom apartment looks :)

    Also showering and hygiene are very important because it keeps germs and bateria away which can help ward of illness.

    ReplyDelete