Friday, August 7, 2009

Prepping – Family And Friends

By Flea - Be A Survivor

It is funny, many people in my family have no idea I am a prepper and those that do think I am a little weird. The reason for this is simple we live in South Carolina and everyone else lives in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. If there were a true disaster there would be very little I could do for my family and very little they can do for us.

Truth be told, I like that situation because it makes it easier for me and my wife to prepare. Don’t get me wrong I preach preparedness to my family but none of them even know about this blog and that is one of the reasons I write under a pseudonym. I like the fact I can write about what I want to freely without scrutiny from “family”. I can’t save the world but I can do my best to protect my wife and myself.

What are you to do if you are a prepper and your family members are not; you can try your best to convince them that some preparations are in their best interest BUT you can’t get blood from a stone. If they won’t listen it is up to you whether you put back enough to cover their needs when they come running to your house when the SHTF begging for you to open the door. It is also up to whether you open the door.

It really depends on your relationship with your family. If you are a very close knit family I would imagine that the thought of NOT opening the door would never cross your mind, in my case I would keep the door shut for most folks. I am certainly not preaching to you either way but you need to consider that your preps will not go as far for each (non-believer) person that suddenly shows up on your doorstep.

The one thing I will say without hesitation and that is to be very careful who you bring up your preparations with in conversation. This goes back to simple OPSEC, the more people that know you have stuff, the more chance someone is going to want to come and take it from you when it all goes down. I never talk about specific preparations even with family. They know I am that guy who always seems to be prepared but to what extent I go no one knows. Once again I like it that way.

If you do decide to bring people into your “survival group” including family you do need to take stock in what they can provide to the group as a whole. Do they have lots of money they can spend on food, guns and ammo? Are they a doctor of medicine or dentistry? Can they fix things so fast that they make MacGyver look like Girl Scout? These are all things you need to evaluate for each member of the group.

Make sure everyone can carrying their weight either with goods or services, no free loaders. You can even put the kids to work when needed as there are MANY things they can do if properly instructed and supervised. The larger the group the more that needs to be taken into consideration so size your group carefully. I honestly believe the perfect size is larger than 2 but less than 10 and that is entirely open to debate.

Family members should receive no special treatment. Work them just like everyone else. Work them HARDER if they called you and idiot for spending money on survivalist stuff pre-collapse. Karma is a bitch…

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

6 comments:

  1. I've been working on getting my extended family to prep. Thankfully, we're all country folk, so most already have some guns and experience with hunting and gardening. My (favorite) nephew made a wise crack the other day about "if SHTF, we'll just move in with you" to which I seriously replied "you'd better bring a lot of food, guns, and ammo with you". Though, since he's young, healthy, an Army veteran, and has 3 pre-teen kids to put to work, he'd be a welcome addition (as long as he brought some food, guns, and ammo).

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that this sort of attitude in the survivalist community rather amusing, since it's human selfishness and greed that pretty much got us into the mess in the beginning. I understand wanting to protect yourself and your immediate family, and that there are limited resources available to do so. I just wanted to make a larger point that the more people you can get actively preparing, or who at least have some idea of what is really going on, the better society as a whole will adapt and re-emerge as a more welcoming, supportive whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ from the comment above. It is the feeling that everyone will be welcomed to anything they want that has gotten us in this country-wide situation! If everyone had the honor and strength of purpose to take care of them selves and practice fiscal responsibility, then we wouldn't be in this crisis.
    I have a heart and give to charity and those in need, but to expect me to take food out of my family's mouth because you were to stupid or lazy to take care of your family is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you try to educate them and get them prepared and they refuse then they choose their own fate. You can only do so much for them, and giving them some of your hard work (preps) is not helping them. They chose not to help themselves which as far as I'm concerned means you shouldn't help them.

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of do the same with my blog, with only my mother in law knowing about it, but them again she is liked minded.

    As to getting family and friends to prep, I've tried, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

    I take the same attitude toward prepping, and again to use a parable of the story of the anti and the grasshopper. You don't prep now, don't come knocking at my door.

    That might sound cold, but if I help every Tom Dick and Harry, there wouldn't be enough for me and mine. To which I am responsible to and for.

    ReplyDelete