Friday, July 31, 2009

Idiocracy

By Flea - Be A Survivor

This is a bit of a follow-up on my Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff post, I pondered the topic a bit more and I have some additional conclusions I want to share. It also borrows a bit from the excellent post RangerSquirrel did here on Fact or Fiction.

It is also a bit of a commentary based on an interesting movie called Idiocracyin which an average soldier wakes up in the future surrounded by a severely dumbed down mankind. While he was in his slumbering state we dropped a few rungs on the evolutionary ladder and this soldier is now the most brilliant person alive.

I really believe that we as a country and possibly as a species are getting “dumber”. Not everyone mind you, there are plenty of very intelligent folks out there with boat loads of common sense. However, I do think and argument can be made that as a collective we are growing dimmer by the minute.

One could contest that everyone when they reach a certain age develops a different view of life; that new take on things makes what has “always been” suddenly appear to be stupid and ridiculous. I will be the first to admit when I was younger I had a MUCH different outlook on life. As I grow older and live life, that has definitely toned down and changed and I question EVERYTHING. I wonder if when I have kids they will look at me like I did my father and say, “Man you just don’t get it.”

Conversely, I look at some people out there today and say to myself are they that DUMB or do they just not give a hoot? I guess there is a little of both (stupidity and complacency) out there but common sense seems to be going the way of the dodo bird.

There are people out there who will absolutely ridicule you for not sharing their beliefs and everyone is so quick to be brainwashed by whatever "movement" they became a “true believer" in, they refuse to listen to a rational argument. I am not saying that everyone needs to agree with everyone else but at least hear each other out.

Let’s get back to the brain washing thing though because that is important and if you have kids in college you need to pay attention to this.

Kids and younger folks are easier to impress your will on and no one does that better than the colleges across America and the boob tube. I experienced it first hand when I attended Rutgers University for a few years. All I am going to say is take an interest in what your kids are learning because you may be surprised what is being drilled into their heads in the halls of academia. That’s all I have to say about that.

I don’t know, sometimes it seems folks are just impressionable or are looking to be part of something. I watch people latch onto "something" and drink the proverbial Kool-aid and ask what triggered that? Is it plain old stupidity? I am not so sure.

I think part of the problem is the very thing that should be our intellectual salvation; the Internet. Bullshit spreads in seconds where it once took considerably longer. Someone say X causes this and doesn’t provide a lick of proof; suddenly people across the country refuse to do Y. I could tell everyone buying a Ford will give you hemorrhoids and there is a large chunk of people out there that just might believe it and not only that, Ford’s stock will drop 10% on the rumor!

A good example of how messed up we are is the simple egg. Eggs “were” good for you, and then they suddenly became bad for you, now they are good for you again (for how long is unknown, hell it could have changed since I wrote this). No one knows at this point if they will spontaneously combust if they eat an omelet. Me, I said screw it a LONG time ago and enjoy eggs as a staple of my breakfast diet. I could give a shit at this point if a study comes out and says eggs will cause me to grow horns and tail, I am gonna continue eating them.

So what’s yer opinion? Are we getting dumber? Or am I just getting grumpier as I get older?

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Buy Be A Survivor stuff!

The Social Stuff!
Follow Me on Twitter~Friend Me on Facebook~The Survivalists

11 comments:

  1. People are getting dumber and dumber. Idiocracy is a good movie and we are heading in that direction.

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to say it, but to me it appears thjat DUMB is spreading like wildfire! All you have to do to see it is spend about 10 minutes in any major store...it shines bright, believe me!

    Like the man said "You can't fix stupid!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. People and cultures have been saying this for thousands of years. And it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think most people are inherently dumb, but rather that the education system in the US has successfully "dumbed down" students to the lowest common denominator. In other words, the standard of education has shifted to the "slowest" student in the class. This satisfies the standards that "everybody" is a winner, and nobody gets their feelings hurt. So much for what made this country what it used to be. Welcome to the land of the zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon 11:05,

    You are definitely on to something with your comment, I have the same thoughts floating around in my head as well. Everybody can't be a winner, it just doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we are necessarily getting dumber, I think that we are getting more diverse and the emphasis in parenting and education has changed.

    In the old days, there were not as many choices - in school you were taught the 3 R's, you read the bible, the constitution, shakespeare, etc, you worked on cars, worked on the farm, worked in the factory, and worked with your hands.

    Nowdays, every segment of society has their own emphasis; inner city kids 3 R's are rapping, raping, and ripping off people; middle class kids just worry about the 3 C's - cell phones, clothes, and computers; the rich kids are all trying to be famous like those other spoiled rich kids.

    All these kids are geniuses at their own niche, but they aren't learning to live in normal society like we did when we were kids. Nobody cares about the 3 R's, the bible, or shakespeare; and no one wants to get their hands dirty - working with your hands is considered to be low class and all the modern kids are too smart for that.

    So, todays kids aren't dumb, they're ignorant. Ignorant of all the things we think are important. But, we're also ignorant of a lot of things they think are important.

    Parents, teach your children well... It is your responsibility to make sure that your children learn what's really important, because if you don't, the other children will teach them what they think is important.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack,

    Very well thought out and very well put!

    Flea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people are dumber than a box of.... well, you know. I also find that common sense is inversely proportional to one's level of "education". Some of the dumbest folks I know have a PhD.... I call colleges "dink factories" (actually I stole that from my friend John Polomny, of The Real Deal blog).

    The continued popularity of Oprah, Dr. Phil, and The View should be proof enough that people are stupid......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mayberry,

    The sad fact is people, at least the population at large, never had any common sense. The fact we are all wired now just amplifies that fact.

    Your point on education is quite well taken as I have seen it first had while I was IN college and in corporate America (in my current role).

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the risk of being incredibly non-PC, genetics also plays a part in smarts. The problem here is that it has never been easier to survive and procreate while being dumber than a box of rocks. Heck, we subsidize stupidity, giving more welfare if a woman has a child out of wedlock and no means of support. Guess what, if you subsidize something, you get more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tweell,

    "Guess what, if you subsidize something, you get more of it."

    Ain't that the truth...

    Flea

    ReplyDelete