Saturday, May 30, 2009

Be A Survivor Southern Fried Chicken

Here is my take on a southern favorite, feel free to modify this as you see fit as everyone has their own idea of what "good" fried chicken tastes like.

One other quick comment, this recipe ALWAYS tastes better on the second day for some reason :)

What is needed:
Large cast iron frying pan
Oil (I use Canola but vegetable or even peanut would probably be better)
Chicken parts (I always do legs, thighs and wings)
Large container

Ingredients:
Buttermilk
Flour
Kosher salt
Pepper
Paprika
Celery Salt

The day BEFORE you plan to cook the chicken:
1.) Wash the chicken parts and place in a large container.

2.) Fill the container with buttermilk covering the chicken completely and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Preparation:
1.) Fill the cast iron pan half way with oil and bring it up to approximately 375 degrees.

2.) Individually remove each chicken piece from the buttermilk and sprinkle with Kosher salt, pepper, paprika and celery salt to taste (BOTH SIDES) and then dredge it in the flour. (Seasoning is really something you need to get the feel of...some people like more salt, some less. It is vitally important you season now and then coat with flour otherwise your chicken will be fairly bland).

NOTE: What I do to make this easy is mix 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1 part celery salt and 3 parts paprika. I mix it thoroughly and sprinkle this on the chicken - BOTH SIDES.

3.) Shake off the exceess flour and place the chicken into the pan, repeat until the pan is full, cooking the chicken approximately 8 minutes on each side. (You will need to babysit because if your oil is too hot or not hot enough your cooking time will vary.

4.) Remove the chicken when it is fully cooked and a nice and golden brown and drain it on paper towels. I usually hit it with some more of my seasoning once I remove it from the oil (BE CAREFUL you can over do it with the salt). Do the chicken in batches and don't crowd the pan.

5.) Enjoy, especially on the second day!

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds good Flea. Thanks for the recipe!

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things I cook a lot seem to taste better on the second day...beans, stews, soups, just about everything.

    This sounds pretty much like the way I fry chicken, but I probably use more blasck pepper than most.

    Thanks for the recipe,Flea

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Granny was from Tennesee and she fried her chicken like this, so I KNOW it is good stuff!
    She used to put some Cayenne pepper in her flour, gave it a little zing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yer makin' my mouth water.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busted,

    Yep I have seen the cayenne pepper in the flour and I have also seen people add hot sauce to the buttermilk that the chicken soaks in. If you like a little kick I would definitely add the cayenne!

    Mayberry,

    My mouth waters everytime I could it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My maternal grandma was from Kentucky and she always made her fried chicken this way. It has to be buttermilk. NO shortcuts! Treesong

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I've never tried it with celery salt. I like to throw a little cayenne pepper in my seasoning, too.

    I think I'm going to have to make fried chicken this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried this yesterday for Sunday Diner. Turned out great. When picking up the spices I needed from Piggly Wiggly, they had a Sauer's Fried Chicken spice. Similar recipe. Turned out great. I put all of the spices in the butter milk and then again before I put the flower on. Last time someone cooked fried chicken (who does that?) in the family was my Grandmother who passed 20 years ago. Thanks for getting us cookin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh. I'm craving. I think it will taste great. And thank you for providing a good recipe. I'll try that out.

    ReplyDelete