Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Free As In Beer: Keepass Password Vault

I have been using a program to store a lot of personal information including passwords and license keys for software and such. The software is called Keepass.

Keepass allows you to remember one password and store your others in an encrypted database that is accessed using that one password. The databases are encrypted using the two of the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).

In my case I use a very secure password that is long, uses upper/lowercase letters, numbers and symbols so it is very secure. My password is also not a word that can be found in a dictionary, a common mistake people make. It is also very easy to remember this one very difficult password as opposed to the 30-40 I need for various websites and software. Every site has different requirements and this makes it easy to avoid using stuff that is similar between sites. When I need to access a site and cannot remember my password for it I go into Keepass and check to what my password for that site is and presto I login.

I have been using this software for about 3 years now and I have been very pleased with it. It is very easy to move the database to a thumbdrive or another computer if you want to move it or keep it transportable.

Check it out if you have a lot of passwords that you need to rememeber and did I mention that it is FREE!

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

2 comments:

  1. and use a product like Dropbox to sync the KeePass files between different computers. Dropbox isn't encrypted, but it makes sharing files across computers really easy. And since KeePass is already encrypted, it really isn't much of a problem. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep you can most certainly use a tool like that and the DB is encrypted so it should not be an issue.

    What I do is keep the DB on a thumdrive and have the porgram installed on all my computer. When I open the program I just point it to the DB on my thumbdrive.

    Also always back your DB up somewhere else occassionaly in case of corruption or something.

    ReplyDelete