Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday Humor - Dayton Hamvention 2006

Most of my regular readers know that I am a Ham radio operator. In 2006 the wife and I drove to the Dayton Hamvention. For those who have no idea what that is...it is the largest gathering of Ham radio operators in the world, a type of flea market/convention. It is the biggest event in Ham radio every year. If you are a Ham you should try and get there at least once in your life.

The Hamvention is famous for the colorful characters who show up there. The wife and I arrived in Dayton Ohio and pull into the arena parking lot to pick up our tickets and what is the very first thing I see? A car with so many antennas on it that it can only be called one thing..."the porcupine". I included the pictures I took below.


I must say to be entertained that quickly...I had only just arrived; it was very promising and I was not disappointed. The show is well worth the price of admission. The real purpose of the the Hamvention is for vendors to show off new products and for people to sell all kinds of commmunication related stuff. Like I said if you have never been to the Hamvention and are interested in communications you should try and check it out. The "colorful" characters are a bonus!!!!

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

5 comments:

  1. Very cool, I haven't been to a ham convention since I was a kid, I always loved going to them.
    I have had my license for almost 20 years, but I just recently started getting back into it.

    Do you know Where I can go to find out what Ham Conventions are going on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, check out the ARRL listing here by state:

    http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'll check it out, I have been looking to get some new ham gear..... I just got an Icom IC706 a few months ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pictures. I am a Ham too. KD8IEU. Check me out on QRZ.com or my own blog. I visit you daily. While my OWB is dependent on electricity, it was still a step in the right direction in sticking it to the Man. I don't pay taxes for my fire wood.
    http://ohiowoodburnerowb.blogspot.com/

    73

    Ohio Woodburner

    ReplyDelete