Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Am Not A Hardcore Survivalist...What Do I Do Now?

Listen most of you, myself included, are not hardcore survivalists. As much as I would love to move to retreat in Idaho, be able to whip up a gourmet meal from a bucket of flour and beans, or slaughter a pig utilizing everything right down to the teeth...I have to face some facts:

I have a wife...she is very tolerant of my paranoia and even agrees with some stuff but living like Little House on the Prarie does not appeal to her.

I have a house in the suburbs...that about sums that up.

I have a job that requires me to be a part of civilization....

I kinda like where I am at right now and what I am doing with my life.

So what is a normal non-hardcore prepper to do?

Well there are several things you can do to get a leg up on 99% of the clueless masses.

1.) Stockpile food - This sounds simple but most people go about it the wrong way. They buy shitload of food that they have never eaten before because it is freeze dried or "that" guy recommended it. The correct way to stockpile food is actually a seven headed dragon to be honest.

Buy MORE of food you normally eat. Your goal should be to be able to live out of your pantry during time of crisis. Trips to the store should be only to replenish what you have used. If you use tomatoe sauce...buy enough for six months, not all at once of course, but by picking up an extra can every time you go shopping until you have six months worth. Always make sure you rotate by move older cans forward and putting newly purchased stuff in the back. This is the single best way to stockpile food. BUY MORE of what you NORMALLY EAT.

I have chosen to suppliment this apprach several ways. I have several cases of MRE's and Mountain house cans - all of which I HAVE eaten before and know I like and can live on if I had to.

I have a garden and I know how to can stuff. I have a nice stash of stuff that I have canned and set aside.

Love it or hate it I believe this is the only way MOST folks will be able to develop a plan and stick to it.

2.) Stockpile water - there are many ways to do this I chose the large barrels with a bit of bleach added to them. I have several cases of bottled water and I plan to implement a rain water catching system in the very near future. Make sure you have some method available to purify water should you have to drink from a questionable source. Bleach, iodine, chlorine, water filters...they all work, some better than others.

3.) Have at least one weapon that you can use effectively and store several hundred rounds for it. The minimum I would recommend is a defensive sidearm. Add a rifle or shotgun and your situation just got a WHOLE LOT better. If you are NOT armed you will most likely be a victim when the SHTF.

4.) For everyday life, get OUT of DEBT and start an emergency fund. Keep some of that cash readily available. To protect against job loss try and build up three months living expenses to get you through a job search and that meager unemployment check.

5.) Build a BOB (Bug Out Bag) containing everything you need to live for a week in case you need to hit the road. Make sure it includes a well stocked first aid kit. This bag should always be ready and never in an unpacked state. It should be something you are comfortable carrying and have been able to carry successfully for a distance. Listen when the SHTF it isn't a good time to figure out that the 60lb you packed is too heavy to go fifty paces with.

More to come...

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

15 comments:

  1. LOL, your wife sounds like my husband! He tolerates what he calls my "freaky green side"

    We aren't hard core either, however like your family we have a years pantry. We raise and eat our own chooks (aussie slang for chickens) and grow our own veggies.

    We have prepped in other areas too, some wind-up torches, wind up radios, manual kitchen tools (grain grinders, can openers) etc. We have brought in addditional gardening tools, shade cloth, wire, axes, saws, nails etc, all manual of course lol

    I dont do canning but I dehydrate tons of fruit and veggies for storage. We are installing a large number of rain water tanks to water ourselves and our gardens. Composting toilet is on the list etc etc

    I personally do not believe it will turn into a zombies raiding, armagaddon type scenario.

    I certainly do agree we are going to have to return to the old ways given the perfect storm of global economics, climate change and peak oil. I think we will see local governments, andd local economies, the govt as we know it today will fail and be gone.

    Hope for the best but prepare for the worst was, I always thought, a wise saying from the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I hope to see more "down-to-earth" posts just like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to raise some chickens...I think my HOA (Home Owners Association) and neighbors would think otherwise but fresh eggs sounds GREAT to me. My goal is to move from the burbs to a more rural setting where I can do more of what I want but still be near civilization.

    Raising chickens though is definitley FULL of win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly the type of situation I find myself in (as do most preppers I believe).

    Great advice! Keep it coming for those of us who aren't as hardcore as we should be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post flea! Although I live in a small rural town, I do enjoy what few creature comforts I now have. Do I plan to move into a cave? Only as a last resort! I try to prepare for what life throws at me.

    Thanks my friend for your great insight.

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look on the bright side of not being in Idaho or anywhere else close to Wyoming. You are not near a super volcano!

    I do not know about hardcore. I just know people do what they can where they are at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!
    I do have a bit of an issue with "that" guy,we all can't afford a .50 cal rifle and 50k round's of ammo,much less 5 time's that! I'd love to raise some chicken's or such,but the zoning won't allow it,yet! I think that when the SHTF,zoning and HOA's won't be enforced anyway. Food and water are priority #1,then worry about your "main battle rifle"! Stock up on sale's at the grocery store,learn to can and dehydrate,grow a garden.. All easy to do,and a lot cheaper than a pile of gun's and ammo,and better to barter with. I'd rather have a cheap generater,or fresh egg's and chicken than a pile of ammo. Remember, "that" guy make's a living off this, his job is to make those of us that are concerned, become paranoid,to promote sale's.
    Dean in az

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Little House on the Prarie" That is the same term my wife uses! LOL

    She is starting to see what is coming. Helped with food storage, buy lots more stuff then we need to add to our pantry and I was able to properly train her on pistol application but as a whole she is in denial.

    She indulges me to a certain degree.

    We now have 30 acres of BOL and a water well is in progress. Though my well man told me yesterday that the solar panels and tracker are on 3 week back order. His exact words were "it seems that many think the end of the world is soon upon us."

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am a single parent. i live in one of the most populated places in America. i live paycheck to paycheck and getting out of dodge is not something i can do just yet. However having enough food on hand is part of my planning. Planting a garden in my itty bitty backyard is also something i am doing. i would love to have a chicken or two for fresh eggs. However the manager and landlord of the place i am at would not be happy with that! So i plan and figure out what i can do with where i am at. So very nice to have someone else who is in somewhat of the same circumstance as myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To single parent Anon,
    Not sure where you are from your post,but at least you have a yard to work with.With a manager/landlord,it seem's your a renter. If when a financial meltdown come's,they won't be too worried about you. Trust me,I know all too well about the paycheck to paycheck issue,as I'm unemployed now,running a almost profitable home business. It pay's the bill's,barely. Look at craigslist for canning supplie's,dehydrator's,all the thing's you need cheaply. Egg's can be dried,make beef jerky from cheap cut's of meat. Get a pressure canner,your set for yr's! Personally,I prefer frozen food's,as they dehydrate easily and come in more variety's than canned stuff,and after dehydrating,a lot lighter to carry,should you need to bug out. Even a small garden can help,and it's relaxing to me! I have a 10 x 20 garden,mostly pepper's and eggplant, a few tomato's. 6 fruit tree's,a few odd's and end's. Concentrate on the foodstuff first, ignore most of what "that" guy say's.I can't swear to this,but what I hear is MRE's are expensive,and they suck! Yes,it's edible. An extra can of this or that,some spam or canned ham, a box of pop tart's on sale. You do NOT need 500 pound's of wheat,rice,whatever..buy easy stuff,bisquick, pancake mix, stuff you can make easily.It is easy to pack,move or cook without power or much water, and it's an all in one meal, no egg's or extra's needed. Keep it simple,and buy stuff you'll use anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is single parent again. I live on the west coast and i am lucky as i even live in an apt and have a backyard and believe me where i am at that is a rarity. i have gotten a pressure canner as i plan on canning what i will grow. About the easy stuff that makes so much sense! MRE's are out of my budget range:) Thanks again for your helpful post back to me and to Be a Survivor for having put this post up. Makes me feel not so alone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. TO : single parent
    An apt and a yard on the west coast is a great place to be! At least better than the gulf coast.A pressure canner is the best way to start,as it can do veggie's and meat! Water canning is only good for veggie's,if prepped right.I only have a water canning setup and a dehydrator,still looking for a cheap pressure canner. As far as easy and cheap stuff.. I just did a quick trip to the grocery store.. the cheap canned veggie's were 59 a can.. and the frozen stuff was 1.09 a pound.. who need's to carry water and can's? As far as MRE's..they may be handy and convienent,but on a cost basis,I'll pass on them.
    Please keep in touch Single!
    Dean in Az

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Dean in AZ
    This is from Single parent:

    Thanks for your thoughts as well as your help! i am signing off on this one from my google account

    ReplyDelete
  14. To: Emily/single
    Glad I could help in some little way! Ignore most of the wannabe Rambo type's you hear about,as they're out to stir up business,in my opinion.Why buy a 30 yr vacuum pack can of whatever,when you can do a 5 yr supply yourself at a 1/10 of the price? And make what you like! Keep it all simple to make,fun to eat,thing's you like. Spagettio's are a good thing! Muffin mixes,pasta, all kind's of simple to make and carry are good thing's. Soup's,soup mixes,all that.Even those cheap gravy packet's are a little bit of comfort food mixed with thing's. One thing I've been thinking of trying,once I get a pressure canner, is a concentrated chili/soup base, open the jar,add a bit of water,make a gallon of whatever.. Think outside the box/can,jar whatever!
    Dean in az

    ReplyDelete
  15. To Emily/single
    Please contact me at blkcwbyhat @ aol. com.I'd like to get an AZ network set up going here,and you sound like minded!
    Dean in AZ

    ReplyDelete