Sunday, December 21, 2008

Free As In Beer: ZoneAlarm Firewall

Time for another episode of Free as in Beer where we give you the best of the best we have found for FREE!

I work in IT and see the consequences of poor security with PC's all the time. My family calls me all the time asking for me to fix their PC's which usually are riddled with viruses, spyware, trojans, root kits, among other things.

The absolute minimum a person should have on their PC is a firewall and some type of virus scanner. Well my friends I have the first part of your problem under control with ZoneAlarm Firewall from Check Point. I have used this on and off for years and it is a quality product for absolutely free!

A firewall limits what traffic can enter and leave your PC by following predefined rules (which can be adjusted as needed). As packets come into and leave your PC the firewall determines if they should be allowed to go on their merry way or be detained for questioning ;)

This is a pretty robust firewall and is much better that the one included with Windows. You have more control over this one and it is highly customizable. They have a pay version of the firewall but the free one does a nice job.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I wouldn;t rely on windows firewall. McAfee is pretty good too, though it is not free.

    You NEED a firewall in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Windows Firewall is garbage, Zone alarm is very reliable and you really can't beat the price!

    ReplyDelete