Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Free As In Beer: Trillian Instant Messenger

Well I am starting another series on Be A Survivor called "Free As In Beer".

This series will let you in on some stuff I have found or use that is free...pretty simple concept. Still with me? Ok so some of this stuff is free for "personal use" which means basically you can not use it while making money...like at work for example.

Anyhoo, the first one I am passing along today is an instant messenger program that I have been using for years and is quite powerful. You can sign into multiple accounts including Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ and even IRC...all at the SAME time. Plus there isn't any advertising or spyware in it. It does ask if you want to install The Weather Channel Desktop, just uncheck that.

The program is called Trillian (They have a Pro version that costs $$$ but the basic version works well enough) and like I said I have been using it for years. I concurrently sign into all my accounts I have accumulated over the years and chat away. The program is pretty darn configurable and I really haven't found a program that rivals it yet. I would highly suggest you give it a try.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

3 comments:

  1. Check out Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/). Not only is it free, it's open-source and multi-platform Not to mention, it supports OTR encryption (http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pidgin is great...I used to use Gaim. I just think that Trillian is a little more polished.

    I love open source though, so I would encourage people to always use open source alternatives like Pidgin as long as you aren't sacrificing any capabilities...which in this case you aren't, as Pidgin is quite capable.

    ReplyDelete