Thursday, November 20, 2008

Be A Survivor Chili Recipe

I love chili and I have been making my own for years. Everyone claims they have the best chili recipe...I am no different of course.

Flea's Famous Be A Survivor Chili:
Ingredients
2 lbs 80% lean ground beef
1 whole yellow onion (diced)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste - I do it by taste)
1/4 of a Hershey bar (yes chocolate)
2 Nice sized jalapeno peppers (remove seeds and mince)
1 large can kidney beans
1 large can of tomatoe sauce

Brown the ground beef and DRAIN THE GREASE!!!

I throw the browned ground beef in a crock pot with everything but the beans and let it cook on high for about an hour or so.

I then throw the beans in and let it cook for another hour and a half to two hours on high.

You can taste at this time and see if you need to add any seasonings.

I serve over white rice and throw some shredded cheddar on top.

Not bad considering I came up with this during my bachelor days.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

5 comments:

  1. awesome, chilli is a recipe I don't have. I'll definitely try it out! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go about 15X more on the Chili powder and about 3X on the cumin, you'll have something worth eating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case the chili gets too hot! Don't want to set off any fire alarms!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minus the Chocolate. That aint never been in one of my pappy's chili recipes. Double the garlic and substitute the kidney beans with pinto beans. Leave the seeds in the Jalapeno (adds heat). Add 2 habenero peppers and 2 Pablano peppers, seeds and all. Add some home made flat bread or flour tortillas and you got a meal for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh and on a second reading leave the rice out, aint never been no chocolate or rice in pappy's recipe and never will be. And the recipe for a falt bread or tortilla.

    Ingredients:

    * 3 cups all purpose flour
    * 1 cup ice water
    * 3 tablespoons shortening
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * pinch of baking soda

    Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients and form into a dough. Cut into 4 or 5 equal pieces. Roll out to a thin 8 inch circle. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork and cook on an oiled hot griddle. Turn with a spatula. Watch these flat bread disks closely because they cook fast. Serve warm.

    ReplyDelete