Monday, November 17, 2008

Be Prepared: Fish At A Moments Notice

One thing I absolutely love is fishing. I have been doing it since I was a small child tanks to my dad. One thing to consider is, you never know when you will happen upon a perfect fishing spot or your life may depend on being able to catch some food.

I will describe the very basic setup I have that is in my vehicle at all times. It is always available to be yanked out when I happen upon a promising looking body of water. I always take my fishing kit with me when I go camping or hiking as well for the same reason. Keeping the purpose of this kit in mind, it is small and fits entirely in a fanny pack.

My kit consists of:
a telescopic 6 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stick
a Shimano spinning reel
a very small tackle box that I made from a small plastic parts organizer
a fanny pack
my fishing license
a small garden trowel (for digging for worms if needed)
small hand towel

The tackle consists of:
some snap swivels
some assorted hooks
4 small balsa bobbers (the long slender type)
a few lures (mostly rooster tails and spoons)
a multitool (used mostly for knife and pliers)
some split shot weights
a small bottle of salmon eggs

That is it. I cannot say enough good things about the telescopic pole. It slides down to about 12 inches and it 6 foot when fully extended. There is a lot to be said for having a full size fishing pole because it gives you options (and it isn't as delicate as some of those micro poles).

I always string my reel with 10 pound test line...this also gives me options for some larger fish if I am careful.

My bait strategy is to dig for worms, use the salmon eggs or lure fish using the several types that I have in my kit. That gives me some diversity and also provides me with options.

My rig can be use to cast, bottom fish or use the good old bobber...the key is to give yourself options!!! It was very inexpensive for me to put this kit together and I take it with me everywhere I go. It is small and compact, yet complete enough to allow me to fish several different ways for multiple species of fish. I have caught bass, trout, pickeral, catfish, sunnies, crappies and blue gills using this setup.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a winner! Nothing much better than fresh fish.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great family activity also! A great opportunity for the whole family to get together and enjoy some quality time together. Real easy to get hooked! Ha!Ha!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd add 2 thing's..a small can of corn,with a can opener of course..and a small can of WD 40.It's made from fish oil,and fish love it! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. forgot to add...a small plastic bucket,punch some hole's in it...take the fish gut's.toss them in,set it in some deep water...make's a great crawdad trap,for bait,or,they are great eating! Like a poor man's lobster!Just toss them in salty water to clean them,make's them sick,puke up the garbage,then boil...break off the tail,simple nuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the corn trick...remind's me of years ago,had a tree house over a shallow end of a private family owned lake.We'd punch hole's in a can of corn,toss it in the shallow spot,wait for the carp to come in,then spear them!

    ReplyDelete