Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekend Roundup Vol. 14

Weekend Roundup:
Hey folks another weekend is upon us. What I thought I would do going forward is give you a preview of what posts are upcoming for the week. Let me know if you like that or you want to continue to be "surprised" everyday. Comment on this post and let me know and majority rules!!!

Coming this week:
Equipment Review: Victorinox Rucksack
Book Review: Tightwad Gazette
Survival Food Spotlight: Salt
Be Prepared: Maintaining Good Health
Be Prepared: Properly Maintaining A Vehicle


On My Mind:
Have a couple of new friends here at Be A Survivor, be sure to check them out:

Suburban Bushwacker
American Bushman
Sooner or Later
Mungo Says Bah
Down In The Hills Survival

They all have something different to offer and each has a unique perspective on some form of homesteading, survival, nature or the outdoors in general.

If you would like your blog or website added to the Be A Survivor link list, let me know. Before asking, please make sure you have some content, it is related topically to my blog, (for example a site on baseball would not fit in here), is updated on some sort of regular schedule and I will be happy to try and help you out.

On The Blogs:
Scoutinlife's Homestead and Preparedness Blog
Outdoor Journals

Stealth Survival
Emergency Dental Repair (ouch)

Kaiservontexas' Musings
I Like Canned Food

The Simple Dollar
How To Keep Important Stuff From Slipping Through The Cracks

Total Survivalist Libertarian Rantfest
How To Read The Constitution

Down In The Hills Survival
Broadside Of A Barn

The Tip:
When accumulating weapons and ammunition go for ammunition commonality. Keep the number of calibers you have to store to a minimum. I have 22lr, 9mm and 7.62x39 for example, all of my weapons utilize these cailbers. I have my P-shooter (22lr) for varmant hunting, I have a defensive handgun round in 9mm and my reach out and touch someone in the form of 7.62x39. They are all extremely common calibers and will be readily available should the SHTF. STAY AWAY from oddball calibers unless you can store a large amount because when the ammo is gone it will most likely be gone for good.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Maybe .308 will be around after SHTF but that is all you are going to see for a while. I don't think the fedgov will be parting with much ammo.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Common calibers is a good thing!

    Common guns, too!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I think it's also a good idea to have a couple of the same gun, that way you can swap out parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree about the caliber issue - get what is commonly available and there will be more chances of obtaining a supply when the SHTF. Generally .22, .223,308, 30-06, 30-30, 7.62x39, 9mm, plus 12 and 20 gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had to choose 3 calibers those are pretty good ones. If you don't have one yet add 12 gauge to your portfolio.

    I like hitting as many common calibers as possible. I've got a piece in almost every common caliber, missing a 9mm and a .308. I'm more vested in some (.38, .223, 12 gauge) more then others (.45 and 30.06) but you never know when (in SHTF) you might stumble on a case of X.

    ReplyDelete