Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Survival Food Spotlight: SPAM

In my never ending quest to come up with new and entertaining (as well as informative) material I am once again starting a new segment here at Be A Survivor called "Survival Food Spotlight". The first product to have the spotlight shone upon it's pink, jellied, rectangular form is the meat of the gods...the tasty and much loved pork product from Hormel:


I figured I would share my love of this product with my readers. I have been eating SPAM since I was a child and my father ate it before me. This stuff is great and has had a bad rap as some sort of "mystery meat"...it is pork plain and simple. My wife is a convert and now likes it as much as I do. She even likes it more than bacon. I however cannot make the same claim for bacon holds a special place in my heart...namely the artery walls. I can easily consume a pound of bacon myself...but let us discuss that in some other post for this is a post about our beloved SPAM.

What can I say that has not already been said. SPAM is pure delicious in a jellied meat like package.

There are only a few ingredients that actually make up SPAM:
Ham (cut of pork)
Pork (different cuts)
Sugar
Salt
Water
Potato Starch
Sodium Nitrite (helps to keep its appetizing pink color)

Nutritional information for SPAM:
Calories Per Serving: 170
Calories Per Serving From Fat: 140
Serving Size: 2 oz.
Servings Per Container: 6 (large) or 3.5 (small)
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Cholesterol: 40mg
Sodium: 750mg
Total Carbohydrates: 0g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 0g
Proteins: 7g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 0%
Iron: 2%

My favorite recipe is an SLT or the SPAM version of a BLT:
White toast - not too dark
Mayo on both sides
Fresh Iceberg lettuce
Fresh and ripe tomatoe
SPAM fried to a slight crisp (not burnt)
This is heaven....

Diced SPAM makes a great omelett as well when combined with onions and shredded cheese.

For your entertainment, Monty Python's SPAM skit:



If you can believe this SPAM has it's own website...pretty hokey. (Lower your volume)

SPAM is worth your time because it is tasty and stays very well (like until the end of time). I have a dozen or so tins in my closet that I eat and rotate as I buy more. It is protein in the event of a crisis and can be eaten cold right from the can if need be.

Unfortunately SPAM has experienced a bit of a resurgence in popularity due to it's reputation as a "survival food" and in these trying economic times has actually gone up in price :(

Regardless there will always be a tin or two at the very least in my closet.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

8 comments:

  1. I love spam with scrambled eggs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the greatest spam recipe:
    1 small cube of spam
    1 garlic clove, halved
    1 strip bacon
    place the halves of garlic on opposite sides of the spam cube, wrap the bacon around the spam to hold the garlic in, skewer, cook over an open fire. this is literally heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great and you don't need a can opener!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same half life as nuclear waste and all the food benefit of a whole pig!

    What more can you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. spam and eggs rocks! Though eating raw spam has been a bit of a challenge to me. I tired it once just to see, my stomach isn't quite strong enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had spam. On several occasions I've thought about picking up a can just to try it but that stuff is pretty expensive! Guess I will have to stick with chili, beans and tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got a ton of SPAM in our food storage. It's a great staple in an emergency! Here's my fave SPAM recipes including a Spaghetti SPAM Carbonara: http://tinyurl.com/ch2cvh

    ReplyDelete
  8. PP,

    Will definitely have to check your recipes out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete