Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Be Prepared: Omega III Fish Oil

I have high cholesterol. I have been taking 10mg of Lipitor per day for the last few years and my cholesterol dropped from a very unhealthy 290 to a MUCH better 144. The one thing I have not been able to get under control is my triglyicerides which the fat content of your blood.

The doctor recommended Tricor 130 mg per day. Well I was getting achy muscles while taking that so I told him I could not take that any longer. He recommended we try a more natural approach. I started taking a few suppliments he recommended. One of them is Omega III Fish Oil. I take 4 grams...yes you read that right 4 GRAMS or 4000 mg for those not up on converting figures. I take 2 grams or 2000 mg in the morning and another 2 grams at night.

I take this with another suppliment I will write about in a future post and my triglycerides have dropped significantly. I have to admit I was skeptical but the natural suppliments worked great! Sure it's a pain in the ass to choke down 4 1000 mg horse sized pills a day but it is natural and it worked for me!

I am a believer now in a natural approach to getting the body healthy. Once I have a few months of taking these suppliments under my belt, I am going to ask the doctor if I can stop taking Lipitor as well and see where my cholesterol ends up.

Wikipedia Article on Fish Oils

Some proven benefits of taking fish oil:
Cardiovascular health
Less pain and inflammation
Reduced chance of some cancers (breast, colon and prostate)
Lessens the affects of depression
Improved brain function and health
Aids in prevention of heart attack and stroke

From Wisegeek:
"Not only has fish oil been shown to offer benefits in terms of physical health, but it may also be advantageous for mental health. Many studies suggest that fish oil may help to boost memory and concentration, as well as to combat depression. Some experts believe it may even be effective in treating bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder (ADD), and schizophrenia."

The Mayo Clinic has an excellent scorecard that basically give fish oil a letter grade (A, B, C, D or F) for specfic ailments. It explains any links that either support or refute the evidence of fish oil helping that particular condition. You can vew it here.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

4 comments:

  1. God job lowering your cholesterol! I eat alot of oatmeal each day to help keep mine down at a healty score...Some many natural herbs an food one can eat that will make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Flea--if you're interested in doing more natural supplements, try oatmeal as Scout says, garlic, ginger, red yeast rice and others. Google "herbs lower cholesterol" or something like that.
    HM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally eat six eggs for breakfast every morning. My tested cholesterol? Eggscellent.

    My main foods beside eggs are vegetables, rice, potatoes, fish, oatmeal, fruits and very little red meat.

    Your body produces its own cholesterol, in fact needs it to function properly. Some peoples bodies over-produce and therein lay the problem.

    However eating the right foods can help overcome high cholestrol, and fish is an excellent start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also use liquid fish oils. One tablespoon of liquid fish oils will provide more than double the amount of omega 3 fatty acids found in a single 1000 mg. serving of fish oil soft gel. The liquid fish oils may cost a little bit more, but the cost per serving is negligible and you're getting a more concentrated form of fish oil, depending on the brand.

    ReplyDelete