Thursday, October 30, 2008

Be Prepared: Maintaining Good Health

Maintaining your health is your best defense should the SHTF. In the event of a real disturbance the healthier you are the better your chances of long term survival. If there were a complete collapse of society as we know it, do you believe that drugs like insulin, nitro or any other meds will be available? They may be, for a time but they will quickly be snapped up and hoarded, expire or cease to exist.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get your conditions under control now before something happens when it will most likely be too late. Many conditions, diabetes for example, in its less severe form can be totally controlled or even eliminated by following a disciplined diet.

Some things that you can do to maintain your health or even enhance it are:
1.) Go for at least a yearly checkup to your doctor, if you don't have a doctor go to one of those family care/urgent care centers. In the case of your health, ignorance is NOT bliss. You may have a condition such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or something even more insidious that could be taking a toll on your body and you are none the wiser. There is NO excuse not to visit a doctor once a year for a checkup even if you don't have insurance...pay for it out of pocket if you have to. It is that important.

2.) EXERCISE!!!! Let's face it...we are a nation of lazy and obese people. Kids now sit in front of the TV and exercise their thumbs playing video games rather than running around and being kids. If thumb wrestling ever becomes an Olympic sport...we will get the gold for sure. When I was a kid I used argue with my parents when they wanted me inside the house and punishment was not being able to go outside. Now kids are banished to their rooms and only need to decide if they are going to watch a movie, chat on the computer or play Wii, Xbox or Playstation...pathetic. If you are a parent set an example for your kids...ask your son if he want to play a game of catch, ask your husband or wife if they want to go for a walk, take the family camping or hiking. DO SOMETHING that requires removing your rear end from the couch!!!! Exercise is paramount if you want to live a healthy life.

Ask yourself this...when it all crumbles (society)...do you truly believe you are going to be able to strap a 50 lb pack to yourself along with a rifle that weighs 7-10 lbs. and walk to safety if needed? Be honest...should the movie 28 Days Later become reality (ok not likely but hey you never know) and you have some virally infected, screaming runner chasing you, how long before you try and call time because your lungs are screaming for air and the lactic acid has locked your muscles up? If you don't care about yourself enough to maintain minimum physical fitness. I say let "the infected" or whoever "they" are in the situation have you. The herd will be stronger as a result of your demise. Sound harsh...yes I admit this post may irritate some folks but I feel that strongly about our nation and the future we face with schools that do away with gym class and physical fitness tests and overweight people with chronic disease increasing tenfold in our population.

3.) This is one we all struggle with, eating healthy. Sometimes it is just not possible to do all the time. If you exercise this is not as big of a problem as it is for those of you who do nothing. My advice is to cook meals at home...they will easily be more healthy than most meals available at restaurants or fast food joints. Eating healthy takes discipline and you do need to "treat" yourself every once in awhile with something you really enjoy...otherwise you will go nuts. You really can't go wrong with lots of veggies, fruit, chicken and fish. Mix it up to avoid getting bored...but do yourself a favor and try and eat healthy more often than not.

4.) Take a vitamin everyday...nothing fancy...a "One A Day" will be just fine. Don't overdo it with supplements as you will just pee most of it out anyway.

5.) Don't sweat the small stuff, equally important as your physical health; your mental well being is key to living a happy and healthy existence. My wife is amazed how I brush off the politics and drama of family life (extended family issues - we all have them). I honestly don't give a shit about what other people think or say about me. It takes a lot for me to get riled up and mentally I am a very content person without the baggage many people carry around with them. I don't let the past affect my future and I don't let others actions dictate my existence. If you piss me off I will cut you off in a second and not think about you ever again for the rest of my life and be happy as a clam. Yes I know I am different than most folks. I only care about what TWO people think about me: 1.) My wife and 2.) My creator and in that order (if you have kids your order will differ). Trust me if you learn to think like this you will feel the stress melt away and a weight will be lifted from your shoulders.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

1 comment: