Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hannah...

Well back from camping...just in the time for a possible smack from a hurricane. Tropical Storm Hannah is making it way towards the US and projected tracks have it hitting land from northern Florida right to my back door in the Charleston area.

People are already freaking out. The wife and I went to Wal-Mart to do grocery shopping because we have been away at the campground. Sheesh...people cleaned the shelves already of items likle bread and water. Luckily I have plenty of food and water stocked up. I also filled the tanks on both vehicles today.

Tomorrow I am still of from work so we will do all the cleaning up around the outside of the house like bringing the patio table and chairs and grill into the garage. Picking up all the loose debris that become projectiles is important...hopefully my neighbors are as diligent as I am ;)

Don't know if they will have evacuations or not but I am staying put unless something real drastic happens. The projections have it as a Category I storm when it hits land so I think we will be in mostly for a good soakin'. We get some nasty thunderstorms in this area with high winds so I imagine it will be worse but hopefully not disasterous. They have a plan they put in place after Floyd hit to change I-26 to one way...meaning all four lanes will be heading west. I don't trust that stuff...a lot of people got to experience Floyd from their cars in gridlock which is why I am so cautious about any "evacuation"...we'll see.

Guess I will give the old generator a test run tomorrow and see if she gives me any trouble. I check her every month so I don't think she will. May start to move some valuables (momentos and stuff) to the second floor in case we get any flooding. We will see how it goes we have some time yet...

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

2 comments:

  1. i'd add some bracing to reinforce the garage door, too. (if you haven't already). when i finally build my dreamhouse-retreat, i'll try to incorporate some heavy duty storm shutters as well. (then what the neighbors do or don't do will have less impact).
    ...irishdutchuncle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a good plan and are working the Plan flea! Stay safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete