Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekend Roundup Vol. 5

Well another week comes to a close and that means another edition of the weekend roundup! More tips and links to some of my favorite blog posts from around the blogosphere...

FROM THE DESK OF FLEA
Rough week. Work is definitely trying to give me a heart attack or stroke for sure.

On another note I seemed to have injured my right knee and I can't seem to recall how. It just hurts when I bend it back. No forward or side to side pains so I think that is a good thing. If it doesn't start to feel better I may have a doctor visit in my future.

There have been a plethora of new blogs out there so next week I may have a post pointing out some them. One piece of advice to all the new bloggers out there is post consistently otherwise no body will visit or you may have a person visit and never return because you don't post enough. No one is saying you should post everyday...but once a week or posting on an irregular schedule just ain't gonna cut it. That is unless you really don't care if anyone reads and your doing it because you want to and more importantly like to.

ADMINISTRATIVE STUFF
No news is good news...nothing to report.

My offer to allow folks to guest post here still stands if anyone is interested email me at beasurvivor.blogspot@gmail.com and we'll talk about it.

TIP OF THE WEEK:
Fire starting tips sent in by Blkcwbyhat
Just a few things I've discovered. Paraffin wax, sawdust, and muffin paper cups. Melt the wax, mix in as much sawdust as possible, then pour into muffin paper's in muffin pan..when they harden they make great fireplace starters, like a big candle! -Blkcwbyhat

Bonus tip: Second, get some super fine steel wool..a strip of steel wool over the pole's of a D cell battery will glow red hot and burn and it's cool looking! Try it at home! -Blkcwbyhat

Email me a tip and I will post it here and make you famous (we'll not really...but you will get credit!)

WEEKEND ROUNDUP
Check out Scoutinlife's nice collection of knives.

The Urban Survivalist ponders SHTF recreation.

M.D. Creekmore's post on Morons and Degenerates is a good read.

Chad from the TSLRF blog covers Pistol Training.

Rangerman discusses his weapon of choice for bow hunting.

Trent from The Simple Dollar discusses "Cheap Dinner Night".

5 WAYS TO IMMEDIATELY IMPROVE YOUR ENERGY BILL
1.) Lower the temperature on your water heater. Most people keep this way to high.
2.) Get a programmable thermostat (then see the next tip)
3.) Lower your thermostat a few degrees in the winter and raise it a few in the summer. I went 2 degrees both ways in my house an barely notice the difference. Program your thermostat to lower and raise even further during periods when you are not home.
4.) Plug your electronics into a surge protector. Then turn off the surge protector when they are not is use. Most TV's and Stereo's still draw power even when off.
5.) No brainer - TURN OFF lights in rooms when no one is in them.

Bonus: Replace ALL of your incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents (CFL's). They provide clean, crip light, last MUCH longer and use 1/3 of the power.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

1 comment:

  1. Flea- sounds as though you need to ice that knee for a while. Use an ice pack, or frozen peas or ice cubes in face cloth, keep it on for about 20 minutes three times a day. Then heat it a bit with a hot pad the second day, third day go back to ice pack, then try heat again. I used to get lots of those kind of injuries teaching kick boxing and ice/heat combo sure helped a lot.
    Shy

    ReplyDelete