Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reading Its Not Just For Entertainment

One of the most important things you can do in your life is read. Many people read for enjoyment and that is fine to get the old grey cells a firing. I am talking about reading to learn. Almost everything I know I gleaned from reading, I barely ever read fiction. Most books I read are How-to's, biographies and non-fiction. You can learn and immense amount by just picking up a book and reading it.

One strategy I highly recommend is to read multiple sources when trying to learn something. For instance, if you want to learn how to store food properly, read at least 3 different authors on the subject. Using this technique you will see commonality in recommendations and statements. If you take all of your information from one source you risk leaving out vital information or worse yet following bad suggestions. If you select 3 different authors you reduce the chance of obtaining bad information. Think of it as a way to weed out the real turds from the gems.

Reading is the way to expand your horizons, expose yourself to new points of view and learn a thing or two in the process. Avoid too much TV although if your are going to watch TV and have cable some channels I do recommend are:

The Military Channel
The Outdoors Channel
The Discovery Channel
The History Channel
Animal Planet
Green TV
DIY Network

When I do watch TV I focus my time on those channels as well as cable news.

I am a prolific reader and can read several books in a week and retain the information that I deem important. My wife actually shakes her head when people ask about something and I can answer it, like some obscure question about the Bird of Paradise or earthworms for example.

When I buy a vehicle the first thing I do is get the Chilton or Hayes repair manual and read it from cover to cover. When I want to learn about saving money I read Dave Ramsey or David Bach. When I want to learn about survival I read Ragnar Benson, John "Lofty" Wiseman or Raymond Mears.

I cannot emphasize how important it is for you to have a good library...if the SHTF the Internet may not be available. Collect and read books on Medicine, Survival, Tactics, Gardening, Knot Tying, Chemistry, Biology, Bushcraft, Camping, Auto Repair, Home Repair...etc. Select quality titles to be in your library and mark them up to find commonly needed topics. These books will be your source of information in a real SHTF scenario and may be your only source of information.

Get out there on some used book sites and start your libarary today. You won't regret it and neither will your brain. You won't miss the TV and you will dazzle your friends and loved ones with your knowledge...and NO ONE will want to challenge you in Trival Pursuit.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading as well the more knoledge one gains the better off one becomes.Variety is the key in reading studying more than one subject by far lets us use the knowledge more productivly.

    ReplyDelete