Tuesday, August 19, 2008

How To Survive The Switch From Analog To Digital Broadcasting

Ok here is the propaganda:

"The Digital Television Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005 requires TV stations to stop broadcasting in analog and to broadcast only in digital after February 17, 2009. The digital transition will provide a better viewing experience for consumers and help emergency responders protect your community."
 
The deadline is fast approaching...February 17th 2009 at midnight broadcasts will no longer be analog and your TV will no longer work...well maybe.

You basically have four options:

1.) Do nothing...forget about TV and spend your time doing something productive.

2.) Purchase a converter box for your analog TV so you can pick up the digital signal.

3.) Purchase a cable or satellite package. If you have either of these you have nothing to worry about.

4.) Buy a new TV that picks up the digital signal (digital tuner)

As I said those of you who have cable or satellite have noting to worry about your TV will work just fine on doomsday.

For those of you who enjoy staticy 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 with a set of rabbit ears there is also hope. The government wants to help! Hey stop laughing...I am serious.

Go to https://www.dtv2009.gov/ and they will provide you with a rocking coupon to aid in your purchase of the needed converter box to make your TV more than a large paper weight.

---From the DTV website---
How do I request a coupon?

Between January 1, 2008 and March 31, 2009, you can request a coupon while supplies last in one of four ways:
Apply online
Call the Coupon Program 24-hour hotline 1-888-DTV-2009 (1-888-388-2009).
Mail a coupon application to: PO BOX 2000, Portland, OR 97208-2000. Download a Coupon Application here.
Fax a coupon application to 1-877-DTV-4ME2 (1-877-388-4632)
Deaf or hard of hearing callers may dial 1-877-530-2634 (English/TTY) or 1-866-495-1161 (Spanish/TTY). TTY Service is available from 9 AM - 9 PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday.

Will the transition affect me?

You will need to take action before February 17, 2009 if you currently watch TV on an analog TV set that is not connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service. If you own a television with a digital tuner or subscribe to a pay TV service, you will likely continue to receive TV programming as usual after the transition.
---End---

Like you didn't have enough crap to worry about...

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

5 comments:

  1. A great time to turn off your TV permanently is NOW. Another good time is the digital date. We turned ours off years ago and don't miss it. I think our IQs went up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch a whole lot of TV myself either...I do enjoy the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.

    Never waste my time with any shows though...last one I watched regularly was the X-Files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned of the satelite and use the bunny ears for TV reception currently own two tv's one is HDTV which is good to go! Thought about ordering a box for the other T.V. but don't know if I will or not just don't watch the much T.V anymore the past few months I bet a hour a month that for the weather reports. I'm amazed how much more I get done instead of sitting watching another rerun........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Screw TV sez I. And am I the only one wondering WHY there is so much hooplah over this deal? Jeez, they show the ads for this thing every 5 minutes! I hear it in the background as my wife and kiddos lose brain cells to the idiot box while I do other things.... Flea, I'm with ya. Those two channels, and maybe National Geographic are the only ones worth watching. Since "Deadliest Catch" ended for the season, I haven't had any desire at all to watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right that the deadline is fast approaching and everyone may not be ready.

    Our non-profit, the Urban Progressive Foundation has been actively working with seniors and other groups to provide straight, clear and understandable information to help them through the transition.

    Later this week, I will be traveling to Wilmington, North Carolina, where the first full blown transition test-run will commence (hurrican-pending). If you can't make the trip, allow me to be your eyes and ears. Visit my blog http://digitaldynamo.blogspot.com/ and website www.transition2DTV.com to for more information.

    deenice@deenice.net

    ReplyDelete