Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Be A Survivor: The 100th Post Edition

Well it is hard to believe but this is my 100th post, I started this blog a few short months ago and never thought anyone would give a hoot what I had to think.

I honor of this 100th post I thought I would share a little bit about myself and how I got wrapped up in the whole survival business.

Blogging is a bit of a cleansing experience for me. I have always enjoyed writing but could never get myself focused. I always had aspirations of writing a book of some kind whether it was fiction or non-fiction never did really seem to matter to me. I never could get myself to sit down and be disciplined enough to get started. Blogging has sort of filled that gap for me.

I grew up in a normal middle class household in New Jersey. My dad was a cop and my mom was a stay at home mom with the occasional part time job to make ends meet. We were never rich but they always had enough to make us feel like we weren't poor. Ironically I grew up in the city and lived in an apartment until I was in high school. We moved to the suburbs during my freshman year in high school...boy those were some weird time.

I got into the boy scouts and that is when my love affair with the outdoors started. I loved camping and fishing. I was always a good student, loved to read and watch the educational type TV programs. I kinda floundered in college and dropped out when my dad passed away and joined the working ranks. I did it all until I got into a company that needed and IT person and I was the only one who could fix the computers. My career in IT started then and has continued strong for the last 10 years. I was always a bit of a preparedness nut...don't know where that came from to be honest. My wife used to think I was a lunatic but has since come around and sees the need to be prepared for what we affectionaly call "the coming zombie apocolypse".

I grew up around guns and my dad taught me how to shoot but I never bothered getting one when I lived in Nazi...errr I mean New Jersey. I moved to South Carolina when my job asked if I was interested in a position down there. Needless to say I didn't let the door hit me in the ass leaving NJ. I picked up a few weapons here and there and think I have basically what I need...save a shotgun.

Me and my wife try to be fairly frugal, we pay cash for stuff and really our only debt is our mortgage and my truck. Our mission is to get the truck paid off as soon as possible.

We want to be debt free save the mortgage so we can save faster for a piece of land. We aren't planning on moving into the woods just yet...but would like to have the option should something happen that is conducive to that. My dream is a nice BIG piece of property with a pond. I want to be COMPLETELY off the grid...solar and wind power, septic system and well. Maybe one day...

So anyway enough about me, I wanted to dedicate some time to thank everyone who stops by and reads what I have to say on a daily basis (I do try and make sure I post EVERYDAY - except Sunday, even the Lord rested on that day). It is tough sometimes but I believe that is how you keep readers interested. There are some great blogs out there with fantasic writers that I would love to read but they just don't post enough to keep me interested...that tip is free for all you new bloggers out there ;)

I will do my best to keep up providing you with some useful information, humor, reviews and whatever else my sick little brain can come up with. I hope you enjoy what I give you and maybe find some of it worth storing in the old memory banks. Thanks for stopping by...

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Flea on your hundredth post look forward to thenext hundred!

    ReplyDelete
  2. writing doesn't have to be so much about discipline as dedication. taking an hour a day to flesh out a consistent set of ideas can lead to great things. you have a great voice and should consider longer, more artistic projects. thanks for a great blog!
    -dave (a compensated writer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you have done is given to the world 100 posts of valuable survival content that everyone can learn from and use. Little may you know its true impact, but rest assured you have touched the lives of many in a positive way.

    On to the next 100 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks for the words of encouragment, they help when the wife is yelling at me for spending WAY too much time on the computer ;)

    ReplyDelete