Thursday, July 3, 2008

Random Musings Of A Mad Prepper

Well today you are going to get a bunch of random stuff I have floating in my big head:
~
My wife and I are going to purchase a pop-up camper. We decided on a 2008 Jayco Jay Series 1007 – nothing extravagant. It has the basics, one big bonus is it does include AC and it is on sale because the 2009 models will be in shortly. They are working a deal for me that includes installing a Class III hitch on my Dakota as well. I will post pictures when it’s ready to be picked up and we get it home.
~
I am pretty certain my next C&R purchase is going to be a Mosin Nagant, need to decide on whether to get a 91/30, M38 or M44. Once I get that sorted out I will pull the trigger (not literally). Cost will be less than $150 for one in great condition delivered to my door.
~
I have already decided on purchasing an “assault weapon”, I hate that term because it is complete bullshit. I mean really, does a bayonet lug or flash suppressor make that bullet any more deadly? I can put a collapsible stock, muzzle break and 25 round mag on my 10/22…is it now an instrument of terror dealing death swiftly to those who stand in its path? PUH-LEEZE, it is still only a 10/22, it may be tricked out and “tacti-cool” but it is still a gun for sending squirrels and raccoons to their untimely deaths. I am doing this because I am afraid of who is going to win the next election. The Clinton Assault Weapons ban…you know the one that basically did squat…well that returning is a major possibility with even more restrictions. I was originally going to pick up an “Evil Black Rifle” (aka AR-15), I changed my mind because I now have the SKS and want ammo commonality…so AK-47 it is. I am going to purchase one of the “higher” quality AK’s as I have heard horror stories of malformed mag wells and canted sights on the cheaper models.
~
On a lighter note, I cracked open one of my homemade spaghetti sauce jars I had canned myself. Tasted DAMN good. I cracked it open on 7/1, I had canned it on 6/1 and since that time it has just been sitting out on one of our countertops. There was a pleasant pop when I pulled the lid off the jar (some people reuse the lids I personally don't recommend it - plus they are dirt cheap at Wal-Mart, just get new ones.) and I took a good whiff...smelled great. I heated it up with some pasta and called it dinner for the last two nights. If I die from botulism, I will be sure to have my wife post here letting you know.
~
I am thinking of making an ammo purchase soon, there are several sites out there advertising Wolf 7.62x39 - 1,000 rounds for $199 shipped. I am very tempted and may pull the trigger (not literally) sometime in the next couple of weeks.
~
It's been fun listening to folks bitch about gas prices...you know the ones who eat out 5 times a week, have a brand new BMW for her and a Hummer for him in the driveway, pay $150 bucks a month for cable and have Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 sitting in their living room. I do feel sorry for the folks who this is really hurting. The folks who have paired all their expenses down and are just scraping by. The Saudi King said today to get used to it...so folks, get used to it because even if it does stabilze or drop it won't be by much. These prices are here to stay. The party is over and Elvis has left the building. At least the polar bears are happy...ANWAR is off limits.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

4 comments:

  1. The AK is a good choice. I bought a Yugo M70AB2 (underfolder) and it is great. It's not top of the line but it sits in the middle of all the AK variants. At a gun show you can generally get one for under or right at $500.

    One piece of advice, you will want one with a thicker receiver. Most AKs have a 1mm receiver but the Yugo and some others have a 1.5mm receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Richard I have heard nothing but good things about M70's, the problem it seems now is finding one...people are snapping them up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Labor Day weekend you will probably be looking at $6 / gallon gasoline, and it's only going to go up from there.

    BTW, best gas saving tip...take the keys out of the ignition! Ha Ha!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ironically I have taken that advice. My wife and I are lucky enough to work from home. We barely drive anywhere anymore. It' a sad state of affairs when a gallon of gas will eventually cost 1 hours wage (minimum wage). I don't see how a lot of folks are going to be able to swing it.

    ReplyDelete