Friday, July 11, 2008

Pop Up Camper Update Redux

Well if you remember I was supposed to pick up my pop up camper on Tuesday...well the best laid plans of mice and men. My trailer hitch did not arrive until Thursday. I had the hitch installed and I am now picking the camper up today. I am totally excited, me and my wife saved our money to buy this thing...we don't do debt if we can avoid it. Always pay cash if you can and if you can't then maybe you should reconsider your purchase. Avoid debt like the plague!

Well we are taking it to one of the parks in SC this weekend. I will not have a post for you on Saturday but you will get a doozy of a post on Sunday. I will have a post on the pop up that will include pics and video. I will give you my impressions of it and how it performs for us.

 I picked up a non-toxic water hose as well as a pressure regulator for hooking up to water at the campground. Unfortunately my porta-potti and Outback privy tent won't be here in time for this weekend so I will let you know how they work out next weekend.

I must admit I feel a bit liberated by having the camper. I know if something bad happens I will have something better than a tent to live in. These things can be picked up dirt cheap used and for as little as a few hundred bucks if you find a fixer upper. New ones fully loaded can be had for between 6-14 thousand bucks.when I say loaded I mean A/C, microwave oven, stereo, 3 burner stove, double bowl stainless sink, regular oven, heat, toilet, shower...you name it. Mine has the basics...the only real luxury we got was A/C.

Well wish me luck this weekend...I will have some great stuff for you on Sunday!

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy the new camper next year or late this fall I plan to start going to a salvage auction to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! Waitn' for some pics!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband I and have doing some emergent preparedness too. We luck out and found a pop up camper for a great price and jumped on it. We happened to be at an RV dealership looking at one when another customer approached us and said he had one for sale. (Of course the salesman was not present!) After Sandy hit three weeks ago, it has made us realize we have to be prepared and have started getting ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I just got a pop up camper this weekend and we will get it tomorrow. We went to a RV dealership to just see what they were like and while our salesman stepped inside, another customer approached us and told us he had one for sale. They were upgrading and need a down payment. We totally lucked out and got it for a steal! We, like you, are starting to prepare in case of an emergency where we would have to evacuate. After seeing what happened with Sandy we are taking things a bit more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband I and have doing some emergent preparedness too. We luck out and found a pop up camper for a great price and jumped on it. We happened to be at an RV dealership looking at one when another customer approached us and said he had one for sale. (Of course the salesman was not present!) After Sandy hit three weeks ago, it has made us realize we have to be prepared and have started getting ready.

    ReplyDelete