Monday, July 14, 2008

Jayco Jay Series 1007 Pop Up Camper

Well folks I am back from my weekend excursion with the new pop up camper. I know I promised this Sunday but I was beat after coming home, cleaning the camper, the grill and going shopping with the little woman. I purchased a 2008 Jayco Jay Series Pop Up floor plan 1007. I took a bunch of pictures which are below. There is a table that does not appear in the pictures because when I took the outside pics...it was inside and when I took the inside pics...it was outside.



The awning in the picture was a pain in the ass to put together. We actually put a small rip in it with the camper door when were putting it up. I had to patch it with duct tape. I say it adds character to the pop up. It is definitly a two person job to get that awning together as well as when it needs to come down.



Above is the Carrier A/C that was included with the unit. That bad boy puts out some cold air. The camper was like an ice box in 90 degree heat, we actually had to turn the unit to low cool and off at certain points...condensation is not a problem as long as you vent the camper which we did by unzipping small sections of the screen coverings.



This unit also came with a 6 gallon hot water heater which is a breeze to start...similar to a normal furnace in your house, light a small pilot light turn it up and away you go.







Park water and electrical hookups above. I used a pressure regulator on the water to be safe. The bucket is catching the water draining from the sink.



Full bed above.





2 burner stove and a AC/LP combo fridge.







Overall it is a comfy unit...we put it through its paces. I have never had one of these so it was a little slow going up and coming down. I imagine you get it down to a science after a while. The quality of the unit seems good...although like I said I don't have much experience with anything else so I really don't have anything to judge it against. I do need to get the stove inside back to the dealer...nothing major there are two screws that hold the top and the bottom together securely and one of then the tab that the screw tightens in is mssing.

The unit came with an external grill that you can hook to the side of the camper and grill with but I don't think I will use that...something about heat and vinyl and aluminum and wood make me nervous as a combination. I imagine I am paranoid but I have a decent grill from my tent camoing days so I will continue to use that. We kept the dinette table outside because it is a bit cramped inside with me, my wife and two dogs trying to all walk around inside.

My wife and I are happy so far with the purchase. You do have to be careful when setting these things up and breaking them down...you can damage them if you are careless. The vinyl tents may rip, you could over crank the lift system or tear the awning like us...but overall they are good for the money. I will say this, it sure as hell beats tent camping in the summer with the SC heat that is for sure!

UPDATE:
The fridge can be run on propane only if needed.

The unit has a 23 gallon fresh water storage tank accessible with a 12v pump (battery not included). So the sink will work with no water hookup and maintain pressure.

The battery (not included) should be a deep cycle marine battery and will provide power...not enough to run the air conditioning but beggars can't be choosers.

The unit can be fully utilized when "dry camping"...

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

27 comments:

  1. I do hope it came with or you have a fire extinguisher to put out the flames should it be needed. Also, concerning how flimsy the awning seems as you tell it it might not be that great in high winds ?? Would that be true ?

    I'm thinking of getting an older hunk of junk, gutting it and fixing it up the way I like. Do you think the sink is necessary ? I ask that because if the water supply is not there then it is basically an over-sized bowl/cabinet taking up space ? Same with the frig and other items mentioned. These all rely upon the grid. I'm thinking bare minimum...

    Sharing my thoughts and questions out loud. That is a nice camper don't get me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does have a fire extinguisher.

    It has a 23 gallon fresh water tank with a 12v water pump if there is no water hookup available, so fill and you have 23 gallons to use as you see fit. I do need to add a deep cycle marine battery if there is no power source to connect to. The fridge can be run on propane (if no AC is available). So it is still fully functional with no electrical or water hookups.

    The awning poles are staked into the ground. I would imagine it could fail in high winds but no more so than any other awning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUH-weet!!! Use the grill, no sweat. That awning does look like a PITA, mine just rolls out, set 2 poles, tie and stake it down. None of those roof poles like you got. After you set it up a few times, you can do it in your sleep. Mine goes up/ comes down in 5 minutes. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice unit you got there! Mine is a lot harder to move and set up. It's a 14x70 and I needed a friend with his dozer to move it in. More or less permanent. Ha Ha!

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get a adapter hose to ue bulk grill tanks with the tabletop grill (check craigslist for cheap grill tanks when people are moving)

    Get a 12V marine battery from Wal-Mart and figure out how to mount a solar panel to the top of your camper to keep that battery charged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice!! my parents had one of those a while back and it was so cute and fun...and collapsible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great setup. I agree with adding a few solar panels to charge your deep cycle battery(s).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey dude, nice camper. If you are not going to use that external grill, would you be willing to sell it? I also have a Jayco and would like to have one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try setting up the awning befor you fully extend the top! That way you're working at waist level not having to reach up or use a small folding ladder (you do carry one of those don't you?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Popup just bought one ourself 2008 with all the extras.The battery setup is wired from the factory and charges the battery as we're pulling it but also carry a spare.Another hint lock out that spare tire to the bumper it will come up missing.Have yet to use it as been waitng for vacation to roll around in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We also have the same model as you. Our only complain si that we do not have alot of room for food, dishes etc. I noticed yours is so clean with no stuff all over the place. What is your secret?

    We use our grill and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon,

    We have an additional refrigerator we keep outside under the awning.

    My wife is also VERY organized so she has every milk and cranny packed neatly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im with A on the camper thing..Ive looked at a few Winnies and a couple of TT's and I cant find one I like the layout of because I would be buying it for a SHTF/TEOWAWKI scenario..and I sure wouldnt need a place for 8 ppl to sleep..just me and my min pins..so maybe finding one and redoing a cheapy would be the way to go...Congrats on your popup tho..good looking rig and glad u enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there Natalie from New York, we also just bought a Baja Jayco pop-up,the awning is a PIA, took 15 min to figure diagram, 1/2 hour to assemble, went for a walk to find it flip over the other side of the camper, lost two pins for the stakes and ended up tying it to everything that would hold it up or down. Were looking into one that rolls up w/ a manual crank, unfortunely a bit expensive but we are going to take it out o the beach and really need the shade. Very happy w/ camper, you have to be creative w/ storage and organized. Any idea for storage and managing clothes while set up, would be appreciated. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are camping next week and considering renting a popup (versus tenting it)... forecast is calling for rain. I am wondering how much can be stored in the popup when traveling with it. If we tent it, we were going to pull a trailer and throw all our gear in the trailer. If we get a popup, we can't take the trailer and I'm worried about having enough room for everything. (Camping with a 4, 3, and 10 month old.) Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you have a solar setup to charge the battery?If so can you supply a wiring diagram of the ookup?We have a jayco flamingo with gell cell 12 v charged while driving or can be charged from 240 but want to add solar

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a 2003 Jayco. The pedestal table is wobbly. Is the floor socket worn or what?

    ReplyDelete
  18. just got a 1990 starcraft pop up, needs some fixing up* Great weekend project. We had 3 kids,2 adults and a dog and had plenty of room. Awning rolls out fairly easy. Hard to crank up,maybe with some lube it will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just brought one of these pop ups yeaterday.. i am gonna do some gutting but overall, it seems to be nice, it has an ac unit in it..and it came with a lil fridge and a stainless steel grill and a propane stove ( new in box) and a chemical toilet too (brand new) my canvas has a few rips in it but i think i can repair that..if we like it and decide to keep it, i will buy a new canvas for it when the old canvas really gives me problems..but im hoping to use it to explore stat parks this summer...i think i got a good deal for 400 bucks..

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have a Jayco Quest 8, third owners, which ten years old. The box is 8 ft and it came with AC but not frig. I went to Walmart and bought a 'Student' Frig and installed in space the cooler was. I created vents and purchased a small computer fan to move the warm air out of the cabinet. It works great. After 4 trips this year, I have been discovered Jayco builds a quality camper on all levels. While, like the others said the design of the awning is tricky to figure out, its really a very useful part of the camper in the summer and if it rains. Staking it down is important. We only use the stove outside. A few cooking ideas we found useful. An electric frying pan is a great applicant to take, along with a perculator for coffee. For cooking outside we use charcoal and the stove it needed. If I was buy a new camper tomorrow it would be a Jayco without hesitation. Very pleased with the time spent on design, R & D and durability. I truely believe that each part of Jayco campers are throughly tested and created to last as a quality product.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a 2008 Jayco Jay Series 1007. We went camping this weekend for the first time with it. Tried to set up the awning but it looked like we were missing Part #D for the center brace. Do you have idea what this part looks like?
    Pictures would be great if possible.
    Thank you,
    Mike
    Mills River, NC

    ReplyDelete
  22. We purchase a 2008 Jayco Jay Series 1007. We went camping for the first time this weekend. We tried to set up the awning but couldn't. Looks like we might be missing Part D in the instructions. It's some type of center brace support. Do you have detail s or pictures of what this might look like? It's the center brace support of some type. We love this camper.

    Thank you,
    Mike
    Mills River, NC

    ReplyDelete
  23. It seems like that you had a wonderful journey with your Jayco Jay Series pop up camper, great keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff about the
    "Solar Energy Project"..Thanks for sharing it.... solar panels

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the wonderful blog. It is indeed informative and useful We are into the same business. For know more about us, please visit Camper Trailers today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on trane air conditioner repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a good blog. It is also good to have this box trailer kits to put also in the jayco jay series 1007 pop up camper.

    ReplyDelete