Sunday, June 1, 2008

My First Foray Into Canning

Well I broke out my new Presto pressure canner and Ball quart jars this weekend and took my first stab at canning.

I made large batch of homemade spaghetti sauce and filled four quart jars perfectly. I followed the instructions in the booklet that came with the canner to the letter.

I cooked the jars at 11 psi for 15 minutes. After the pressure dropped, I pulled the jars out to cool. I have heard them popping occassionally, so I think I was successful.

I will know for sure in several hours when the jars completely cool. It was really easier than I though it would be...No excuses!!!

Go get yourself a canner and some jars and start storing some food!

UPDATE: Success...all the jars sealed correctly!!!

My equipment:
Progressive 5-Piece Canning Kit
Presto 01755 Pressure Canner 16 Quart
Ball 62000 quart size regular mason jars.

...that is all.

 Subscribe to Be A Survivor and Follow me on Twitter

Buy Be A Survivor stuff! ~ Donate to Be A Survivor! ~ Join "The Survivalists"!

No comments:

Post a Comment